Friday, January 11, 2008

Day One- Filters

Dr. Reese is trying to shake us up. This is a way to keep track of the process.
Notes: I notice someone new is in the classroom. People are watching her, shifting in their seats. She's trying to set up the computer. She's dressed in workout clothes, tennis. I do a brain shift. She's obviously the teacher.
We watch a presentation- music with a strong beat sets the ryhthm. The pictures on the screen are snapshots, but powerful- the words are simple: More than 6 Billion People feel- Joy- Despair-Love-Hope. (How do you represent this in photos? Some must be staged.) Wise humans only connect. (How? Through our stories.)
We write and share.
She dances and speaks- birthing of self, raw, universal- parallel to other lives of other race, masculine.
She stops, we write and share. (Very cooperative learning.)
She dances and speaks- "differences are cultural- not innate" "what if I'm no different than you?" Interactive- with cultural differences. TRUST. Shaksperean- 'If you cut me, do I not bleed?' Voice breaks.
We write.
What do you see when you look at me?
performer, man/woman, comedy/serious, black
Methods of seeing:- Observation of what I said/did
Observation from my experience.
Observation from my own stereotypes.
"I beome the opportunity for her to see as she sees."
Breakthroughs:
People are signs- semiotics-sybols with different meanings to different people.
Breakdowns:
It's not important what your stereotypes are, but what you do with them. The idea is to understand yourself and your reaction to others.
Learning Moments:
What does this have to do with Storytelling? I guess we can't hear each other's stories until we can get past what we judge the other to be.
We have to clean our filters. But what about me? All this culture stuff is confusing to a TCK.

No comments: