Thursday, January 31, 2008

Generative

We go around the room speaking how we want to be known. We are free to present ourselves as we like. Mandy has done this before, and gives a metaphor for herself, "silly putty." Some others use metaphors; other just describe. I am almost last, listening hard but trying to think of who I want to be. Coffee, I decide, without thinking it through. During break we are to share with a partner. Why coffee? I write down words- strong, flavorful, energizing, international, Colombian/Jamaican, fresh, process, varieties.
I am creating who I am with my performative utterance.
"The degree to which we are willing to be known yields our degree of creativity." "Class is a creative space."
Language has power to create- our words mean more than their sounds. The professor says we are all brilliant.

No comments: