Sunday, April 13, 2008

photography

Today I felt like a teenager again, going to fun places to photograph my friends. Today my friend was S, from my class. We have spent time talking over the semester and gotten to know certain aspects of each other quite well. The identity that I wanted to capture for her became evident as she told me about her search for a job, and the urgency she feels to have work after being a student and before she becomes a mother. It was such a privilege to listen to her, and then to photograph her. At the end of the session we sat in my car, out of the biting wind, talking some more and looking at the photographs. She told me that although various people have asked to take her picture, she's never felt comfortable with anyone other than her husband, and so always said no. However, she said yes to me, and she said she felt totally comfortable being photographed today. And she looked it. Yeah!
Earlier in the week H came to my house so that we could talk some more, and maybe take some pictures. As we were talking it she lit up as she began to talk about being a student. "I love studying," she said. "I could live on campus." And so, I photographed a student, full of life, in my backyard, and back in the living room. Again, H had expressed to me earlier that she didn't like many of the pictures taken of her, but when I showed her what we'd done, she was happy with them.
My whole modus operandi of photography is changing.

No comments: